Friday, March 11, 2011

Everything Is Illuminated

Different thoughts surged after I read this book. There were so many sentences that I had to re-read, or times that I had to put the book down to digest what I just read.

Sure, there are many profanities in the book, but beyond that, there are so many truths. I didn't quite get the details of the story, like who is Jonathan's grandmother, if his grandfather died with his wife and child, etc., or maybe I got the facts mixed up. But regardless, there are so many things that made you think: about God, life, injustice, traditions, fear...

One of the thoughts I was left with is: everything is the way it is because everything was the way it was. I don't think it means that nothing's changed, or it would have been "everything is the way it is because everything is the way it was". Rather, it's about how the past lingers in the present, and the present is the way it is because of what happened in the past.

The other thought: if God exists, He must be sad, but if He doesn't exist, then He must be sad too. I have never thought of the latter, because I've been convinced that He exists as long as I can remember. Perhaps it might be interesting to re-see the world in a way that God doesn't exist. I believe it will give me a very bleak view of the future, the way it was before I met Him. It has been such a long time ago that I lived without knowing God, that I forgot what an amazing grace it is to be living and believing in God.

1 comment:

  1. So glad to see you post about this one! I think I've waited for years for you to finish this book. Your last thought is kind of like the opposite of one of the main themes I was reconciling when I first read it.
    I think I've asked you before why does God need people to pray to Him? Foer/Jonathan mentions the "sadness" of it.. that really helped prevent me from believing for a long time. And only until recently did I realize it's not a sadness but a relationship/freedom.

    ReplyDelete