Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Deserving

My devotional today was about us deserving God's love because we are His children. Like parents who love their child, the child does not need to do anything to earn that love. The child deserves the love because of the identity of being the child of the parents. This, to me, is a real eye-opener. So often times when we pray, we say things like, "Thank you Lord for giving us these blessings, we don't deserve your kindness and love", etc.

I am used to living a Christian life that is undeserving of God's love, for example, doing so many things as a Christian. Slowly, I'm forgetting that I'm Karlin, who is God's daughter, before I became a Christian. I don't have to do anything to receive His blessing, love, kindness, etc. I don't even have to try to be His daughter, because I am. I must not forget this Karlin just because I am a Christian.

Why this concept of deserving is difficult to accept, I'm not sure. While I always live with the undeserving aspect of Christian life, I don't even remember when was the last time my church teach us that we deserve these things. We deserve this just because. Just because God is gracious, just because God is the loving Father, and just because God is just being God.

We deserve God's love because we are His children and have been created to be beautiful and lovable in His eyes. Knowing His humble character, I believe that it is His pride and honor to have us join in His banquet, and to bless us in all the ways that He wants to. That is how great our God is: showering His blessings upon us just because.

Ironically, while writing this, I am battling whether or not to describe how we are truly undeserving because God doesn't have to do all He did for us. This tells me how much the doctrine of undeserving has permeated into each cell of my brain.

No comments:

Post a Comment