Friday, January 14, 2011

Responsibility

Maybe I'm too harsh with people, but I sincerely believe that no matter what you face in life, you have to deal with things responsibly, especially when it comes to your work.

Imagine a situation where a man working in an office received an emergency phone call about his wife that has passed away due to a car accident. Sure, I sympathize with him, and he deserves all kinds of understanding, love, and compassion. It is never an easy thing to lose a loved one, and a sudden one at that. It is heart-breaking and terrifying.

However, I still believe that the man has to finish up the pile of work on his desk. So the man can do 2 things: 1) suck it up and finish up the work, or 2) ask for help from his colleagues, talk to his boss, try to extend deadlines, etc. Either way, something has to be done so the work is still completed somehow, because time waits for no one. It will not wait for the man for the day when he is finally able to accept the death of his wife.

Is it really that difficult to be responsible when it comes to work and life? I have a feeling that people nowadays are not taught enough about responsibility, but learned too much about rights, for example using law to exert the right that ought to be ours. This kind of attitude seeps in to other aspects of life, and the sense of responsibility is lost.

Every little thing adds up, and that sense of responsibility will build our reputation of trustworthiness and reliability in times of need. Let's all live our lives with a more responsible attitude.

2 comments:

  1. I see where you're coming from, but I guess it comes from what you put value in. For me, I think relationships are more important than the work in front of me. Granted, when someone has passed there really is nothing that can be done except recognize it and try and move on.
    However, I think we should allow for a period of mourning because it DOES hurt to lose someone and will affect your life. I think the best way for someone to get back to normal life and their responsibilities is by support, understanding, and care by those around them.

    I read this post yesterday and thought about it and sort of wrestled with both sides. Then in the afternoon I was reading Philippians and these verses popped out to me and immediately made me think of what you've said:

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Therefore if you have any encouragement from being united with Christ, if any comfort from his love, if any common sharing in the Spirit, if any tenderness and compassion, then make my joy complete by being like-minded, having the same love, being one in spirit and of one mind. Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves, not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of the others." -Phil 2:1-4

    Now I know these words can be considered from either side of the situation you're describing...that the worker should continue his work for the interest of others, and maybe that is true. But the best we can do is think about where WE are at and our position on things and try to put the other person before ourselves.
    Maybe we should take upon that person's work so it is not a burden upon them while they are grieving a loss.

    Obviously I think there becomes a point when they are due back to their work, yet unfortunately there isn't a rule or set time. But I think there are agreeable periods someone may take away from their work.

    Just my thoughts!

    ReplyDelete