Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Believing in What You Do

After doing some reflections, I think that in the process of getting my degree in Clinical Psychology, somewhere down the road I am losing my faith in the field. It is not that I think it doesn't work - it obviously does and it seems to have helped numerous people in their struggles. However, I just think that, somewhere deep within me, I have begun to question the real value of therapy amongst other things.

This makes me think about the importance of believing in what you are doing, career-wise. It is necessary to look at things with a critical pair of lens, but it is important to be able to say, "I think what I'm doing is valuable" at the end of the day. Perhaps my inability to do that resulted in the digression in my pursuit of education in this field. One leads to another, and here I am, stuck as a Policy Analyst because at the end of the day, I am able to say to myself, "I'm helping people make a wiser, and a more moral, decision".

Perhaps we need to ask ourselves that question more often, to remind ourselves the value of what we are doing, and in order for us to not be distracted from reaching the end goal!

1 comment: