Friday, September 17, 2010

Homesick

I've been having homesick spells for the longest time ever. This has never happened to me before, at least never this long. Perhaps I am coming to a crossroad, or maybe I am developmentally at a stage where I feel like I should be home and getting settled (ahh, when your friends are all married or are getting married, you really do want to be there with them). I really want to go home, especially when I have been away from my family for 14 years.

But something struck me one day. Remember our Bible friend, Joseph, the guy who was sold off by his own brothers and lived far away from his family until he became successful, and then met his family once again during the drought? I was trying to imagine how homesick he was. He was the favorite in the house, so I'm sure he received a lot of attention at home, and all the other good things and riches that I could only imagine. Unfortunately, the Bible doesn't really talk about Joseph's feelings, though I think that it would be really interesting to read his diary.

Perhaps God sent Joseph away to build his character and prepare him for a tough and important job in the government. Perhaps God also wanted to let him see the world as it is, rather than the bubble that he has been living in; after all, he was a daddy's boy. Perhaps God wanted to use him in such mighty ways that he has to undergo the tough training.

That made me feel better, knowing that God is keeping a watch on whatever I am going through, whether being away from home or missing the good things I can be experiencing at home right now. Somewhere down the road, perhaps God will make me look back and say, "See, this is why I separated you from your family for this long. This is what I've gotta do for you and to you, so you can get here, where I want you to be."

Then someday, like Joseph, I too, will experience a beautiful reunion with my family.

No comments:

Post a Comment