Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Truth Doesn't Make Us Free

I was reading a book, If You Meet the Buddha on the Road, Kill Him!, and was challenged by one phrase, "the Truth does not make people free" (Kopp, 1976, p. 13). I had to put down the book, sit down and reflect. Is this book misleading?

There was a tension inside my heart because I am utterly convinced of what the Bible states. I know the Bible states that the Truth will set us free (John 8:32).

After sitting down with that tension and allowing it to seep through, I realize that Kopp was right. But the Bible is also true. I have come to a conclusion that even though the Truth will set us free, It definitely does not make us free. If the Truth makes us free, God's proclamation about human freewill becomes questionable.

The word "will" in the Bible is the important key that we often overlook. We forget the divine requirement of our very own participation in every change, improvement, and encounter with God.

The Truth can make us free as much as we want ourselves to be freed. If we want to stay in bondage, the Truth does not make us free, even though It will and It can. The Truth cannot change our attitudes unless we want to; the Truth can be everything but is not going to unless we want It to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment