Sunday, May 2, 2010

Pride

This past weekend, I went back to my University for 2010 Commencement, held at the prided Big House. Back during the school year, whether rain or shine, school spirit triumphs weather, and we'll be there religiously for football games.

We left the house at 7.40 am in the hope for good seating area, when the commencement was to start at 11 am! If I had known it started at 11, I might have thought twice about leaving the house that early... and in the rain... (I seriously thought it started at 9 am!)

My graduation in the year 2008 was the year that the Big House underwent construction, and we graduates celebrated our graduation at the Diag. So when I was able to step on the carpeted football ground, I couldn't help but to take a closer look and embrace the fighting spirit of the school.

From my seat, we could see a tiny Obama as he delivered his speech.

"The truth is, the debate we’ve had for decades between more government and less government doesn’t really fit the times in which we live; our government shouldn’t try to guarantee results but it should guarantee a shot at opportunity for every American who’s willing to work hard."

“As I’ve found out after a year in the White House, changing this type of slash-and-burn politics isn’t easy. And part of what civility requires is that we recall the simple lesson most of us learned from our parents: Treat others as you would like to be treated, with courtesy and respect."

I found it to be a deeply embedded political speech, almost like a propaganda, and almost like a Coke advertisement in the comedy Friends.

Pride is a funny thing. It overwhelms you even more after you are no longer a part of the event. Memories reconstruct your experiences and exaggerate your attitudes. My memories of being in University of Michigan inflated my pride each time I flew back to the small campus city.

Happy Graduation, my fellow Wolverines! You guys are going to do great in the world!

1 comment:

  1. That's interesting that you say you feel more pride now that you're not at UM anymore. I feel less and less. I look back and am thankful for my education and experiences, but I feel a lot of negative feelings towards that school. I really dislike the attitudes of 95% of the people there, which really ruined my experience of going to school there. Being at a smaller school for grad school, I often wish I had went this route because everyone is more friendly and I feel a better sense of community and sincerity in each person I cross.

    ReplyDelete