Tuesday, February 16, 2010

A Better Place

I think as clinician, therapist, psychologist, and whatever else that you will call the helping profession, we have a tendency to want to better the world or help the people so the world will become a better place. I mean, we work so hard to deal with people's issues, garbage, burden, or whatever word that you use to describe all the stuff that are maladaptive.

But today, I realize something. That is a huge burden if we are trying to make the world a better place to live in. All the external things are not within our control, we can only help influence it to go towards a healthy direction. There is, however, one thing that we can be sure of, and that we can be successful in doing. Rather than trying to make the world a better place, what about making ourselves become better people to live with?

This was a thought that sprung up during my chiropractic session today. My non-Christian chiropractor told me that I am too much under stress, and after exchanging thoughts, she jokingly asked, "You want to be Jesus or what?". This struck me. I think so often, we want to be Jesus, not to be LIKE Jesus.

Our cups are different. Jesus took the heaviest cross of all so we can choose to carry our cross.

Just another insight from a normal routine. This one, though, I'm not even sure if it's biblical, but it makes sense to me. I need to learn from Jesus and to become more like Jesus, but not become Jesus. I need to be a Jesus-like Karlin.

No comments:

Post a Comment