Monday, January 18, 2010

When God Speaks

When God's trying to catch your attention, when God speaks, there is nothing - literally - that will stop Him. Usually we are the thing that hinder Him, but even that, He can slice through it when He needs to.

I have one question for Him. One. He spoke to me three times. Three. And He spoke in parables, still, after two thousand years. Now I pray so that my heart can understand what I've heard.

The Beginning. On Friday's class, we talked about the values that we individually attach ourselves to, that our spirit is perked up by, and reviewed the purpose of our lives. Then, we thought about how what we have been doing needed change in order to walk towards that target. It was a stimulating discussion, and a pretty disturbing process, because there is a disparity in what I want people to remember me by and the way I live. I was perplexed. I asked God about my calling, how what I am doing right now, in regards to church and school, will lead to fulfilling His purpose, and what specifically it will be. One question that I have been asking for quite a while.

First answer. On Sunday, for some reason, the pastor brought a message about our calling. We have to be working hard on the field before God called us, because sloth will not get us anywhere, just like how Elijah found Elisha. Then, leave the past behind, and be immediate in answering God. God reminded me of how he has called me and how I have answered to Him immediately. You have left for Me, so stay with Me, even though there are other things that you want to do, there will be nothing more satisfying that being with Me.

Second answer. We were about to watch a chick flick movie, but we could not make it in time, so we ended up watching Book of Eli, though I had no idea what it was about, I was desperate to just watch anything. There, God spoke. Bring my Word, bring Me, to the rest of the world who needs Me, and I shall be with you, and no sword can go against you. Of course, Eli convicted me too. I should read the Bible to the point I memorized it back to back.

Third answer. A friend's call for help in the middle of the night, mere minutes before I slept. Thank God I caught it before I was done with my day. Giving her advice was like the Spirit giving me advice. The words that came out from me were the words that came out from Him, speaking to me. Give the church, give the people, another chance. Learn to love them the way I have loved you. I've died for them too, you know.

So yes, three parable-like answers. I have yet to know how my schooling will lead me there, or if what I want to do is what God wants me to do. But at least I know He will lead me to the target, and when I start stumbling around, He will catch me before I make the wrong turn.

Ask, and you shall receive. God is not afraid of your questions. He can answer them, and He knows even if you will be scared after hearing the answer, He can still capture your heart all over again. And when God speaks, you will hear. But only you can choose whether you want to listen. I pray that God will answer your questions and your heart will hear Him.

1 comment:

  1. This reminded me of a quote from Philip Yancey:

    "I've learned that there are no easy answers in Jesus' teachings. They may seem simple on the surface. But, underneath there are layers of meaning that I've just beginning to grasp. One theologian has counted 183 times in the Gospels when someone approached Jesus with a direct question. Do you know how many times Jesus gave a direct answer? Three!"

    Ya gitula, He wants us to work for it hahaha. Apa kabar Lin?

    ReplyDelete